I'm Living My Inner Truth, and In Doing So, I am Happy & Free


I am a believer in the power of taking the weird & true path. When I say weird & true, what I really mean is deviating from the norm to follow your own inner compass. 

As we've awoken from a covid-induced slumber, I feel myself coming alive again to my truth: I am a 36, single, childless woman who loves copious amounts of travel. From all of the above, I am happy. 

I may one day decide to have a husband, a child, picket fence, etc. But right now, I am beamingly happy living my life on my own terms, just as I am. 

It started nine years ago, when I followed that strange and nagging calling within in my soul and moved to London. My world came intensely alive for the first time in my life. I realized it then: this was REAL living. I was finally doing something that I always dreamed about doing without worrying about anyone else's commentary on the move. In choosing London, I was choosing me. 

I'm still shedding societal conditioning in order to hear my inner truth. I hear that conditioning coming out of people's mouths almost everyday: "You better get married soon! You're running out of times to have kids! When are you going to settle?" People actually ask these questions, as if it's their business to do so! 

It's never been more apparent to me to live life by my own rules, completely and unabashedly following my own heart. 

Some of the things I absolutely love doing at 36 (when I've been told I'm too old for all the below): 

  • I loooove have roommates/flatmates. I believe we were made to live in tribes, and somehow we've isolated and secluded ourselves in tiny boxes, often feeling lonely. We intrinsically yearn for deep community with other humans! I get excited about the idea of collective living, and I may try to raise any future kids in such an environment. 
  • I love traveling like a twenty-something: often, and with a hunger for new cultures and life! Now that travel has opened back up a little, I've been planning at least one trip a month, sometimes two! This makes me SO HAPPY. 
  • I'm continuing my life abroad, as an expat in London. Admittedly, the pandemic made me question expat living, but the inner explorer in me knew better! I love living in a city that has the best flight deals to other cities all around the world, while also being one badass city itself with endless amounts of art, culture, and history in every corner. I feel constantly connected to adventure & I feel free. I am still very much a Londoner. 

Traveling or living abroad is not the only way to be free. If your dream is to live on a farm in Nebraska with goats and pigs, more freakin' power to you! If you absolutely love that suburb life, and it brings you a calm content, I applaud you! The important thing to ask is: what is your inner truth? What is that nagging, tugging, ever-present voice in the center of your soul telling you? You already know the answer. So go and do that, love, and then be free. 


2 comments

  1. I'm glad that you're continuing to prioritize finding your truth. As a childless, unmarried woman of 37, I also support you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you look so happy! I'm happy for you, Ashley! I love that you're an expat in London - it's so cool. You shouldn't think that people perceive you as weird - has anybody actually said that to you? I've never once thought of you as weird, even though I come from a pretty traditional background (though my path has not turned out traditional, either). I've always thought of you as a cool gal, even when you were in San Diego working a more typical office job that you hated. In fact, I've never noticed any type of extreme transformation in you (from my internet vantage point, hah) - you've always been a traveler. You've always been YOU, my dear! It's just your environment and your thoughts about yourself that have grown and changed! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, New Expat! I Have Some Advice For You...

...if you're feeling fucking terrified, you're doing it right!  The magic of becoming an expat is not in the moving itself, but in m...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig