Intro: The Thirtysomething Expat


If there's one piece of advice I can give you over and over again, and then again once more, it's that you must always follow your soul's instructions. 

I woke up this morning to watch the sunrise over the city. Tangerine and blushing pink kissed the tops of the buildings as an early train whizzed by along the horizon. London was wide awake at 6 in the morning. I still adore this city splattered with wobbly cobblestones and quirky little post boxes. I still love being an expat. 

I'm 35, going on 36. Wasn't I supposed to grow out of this(!) in my twenties? Wasn't I supposed to bow down to the almighty plan? Aren't I supposed to be aiming for a big house in the suburbs of California? 

No, says my soul. 

All is well in this place, in this city with ancient truths and modern cranes, always changing, always building, always wisely carrying the past into the future. 

And this will be a blog to get me writing and moving again. Carrying my past truths into my future. Building up, never down, even through a pandemic. 

This is the blog of a thirtysomething expat. 

4 comments

  1. I've missed reading your blogs, Ashley! Yay, glad you're at it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaa, being endlessly bored in a pandemic has stoked the flames of creativity!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Also, give London a big smooch for me. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Probably the longest you've gone without visiting it!

      Delete

Hey, New Expat! I Have Some Advice For You...

...if you're feeling fucking terrified, you're doing it right!  The magic of becoming an expat is not in the moving itself, but in m...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig